Staff Involved in Safeguarding at St Erme with Trispen
The DSL will:
• work with the Senior Leadership Team to ensure safeguarding is at the heart of the school ethos and that all staff are supported in knowing how to recognise and respond to potential concerns
• as required, liaise with the local authority case manager or the designated officer at the local authority if a concern has arisen regarding a member of staff
• liaise with staff on matters of safety and safeguarding and when deciding whether to make a referral by liaising with relevant agencies
• act as a source of support, advice and expertise for staff.
Level 3 Multi-agency safeguarding training
Safer recruitment training
Child Sexual Exploitation
Online safety training
At St Erme with Trispen, we have a child-centred approach to safeguarding where, at all times, our practitioners consider what is in the best interests of our pupils. We understand that safeguarding and promoting the welfare of children is everyone’s responsibility.
Safeguarding and promoting the welfare of children is defined in ‘Keeping Children Safe in Education’ (DFE, 2023) as:
- protecting children from maltreatment;
- preventing impairment of children’s health or development;
- ensuring that children grow up in circumstances consistent with the provision of safe and effective care;
- taking action to enable all children to have the best outcomes.
Sometimes we may need to share information and work in partnership with other agencies, when there are concerns about a child’s welfare. We will ensure that our concerns about our pupils are discussed with parents or carers first, unless we have reason to believe that such a move would be contrary to the child’s welfare.
At St Erme with Trispen, safeguarding is led by our Headteacher, Nicola Neale (Designated Safeguarding Lead) and Jamie Cameron (Deputy Designated Safeguarding Lead and Assistant Headteacher). Our Safeguarding Governor is Tracy Carter who monitors and moderates our work in this area and supports us to ensure that our provision is constantly of the highest standards.
If you have concerns about a professional or volunteer working with a child you need to contact the Local Authority Designated Officer (LADO) for Cornwall and the Isles of Scilly on 01872 326536.
Tier 2 Safeguarding training
Who to contact if you have concerns about a child:
- Multi-agency Referral Unit: 0300 123 1116
- Out of Hours Service: 01208 251300
- Police 101
St Erme with Trispen is an Operation Encompass School.
Operation Encompass is the reporting to schools, prior to the start of the next school day, when a child or young person has exposed to, or involved in, any domestic incident.
Operation Encompass ensures that a member of the school staff, known as a Key Adult, is trained to allow them to liaise with the police and to use the information that has been shared in confidence. This enables us to make provision for possible difficulties experienced by children, or their families, who have been involved in, or exposed to, a domestic abuse incident.
Our Key Adults are Nicola Neale and Jamie Cameron
Tier 3 Safeguarding training